News & Events

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Based on this, does it sound like I might be able to be a journalism major? thanks?

I'm a senior, and will be graduating in less than a month, and I'm going to community college for at least one year, probably two. Right now, I'm so confused, I'm an indecisive person and especially with this major stuff, because there's so many things I would be very interested in doing, but my question to myself is ' can I handle this and work at it through the thick and thin?'. I'm keeping journalism as one of my options right now. I was in a special 14 student writing class for 7th and 8th grade for 2 hours a day instead of one for people who had a knack for writing and it was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had. Throughout high school as well, my english teachers always told me I was good at writing and come up with some really good stuff. I feel like writing is one of the things that really works for me. If I were to do journalism, I would want to eventually do entertainment/celeb journalism. Do I sound right for this or are there other qualities that I really need to have? And I wasn't on newspaper in hs, and I was wondering if that would affect me.


Thanks to all.



One thing to keep in mind is college is a time for finding your strengths and interests. So yes keep your options open.


Yes you can go into journalism. The biggest difference between journalism and other forms of writing is the rules you need to follow. A basic news story needs to cover the 5 W's and H. That stands for who, what, when, where, how, and why. This information needs to be in the lead paragraph or in the first few paragraphs. Basically top heavy. Newspapers cut from the bottom up. Features (including entertainment) and magazine stories have different requirements and style. Even with the rules your style can come through.





As an entertainment reporter you'll need to cultivate sources in that industry.





In short to be a good jounalist you need to remember you are writing with certain goals in mind. You also need to be a people person. Best of luck.




you'll be FINE!!! If you enjoy writing...go for it! You sound like one of those students who come up with the most awsome essays and sentences, the teachers are jealous. You were in an advanced 14 student class.......???? That just screams with a huge neon light ************ GREAT WRITER COMMING THROUGH************** dont worry about the newspaper it wont affect you.





Make way...Journalist comming through :D

No comments:

Post a Comment